Grace's Mosaic Moments


Saturday, October 3, 2026

Our Cassidy & HAMILTON


 

Cassidy reports that as "Red Jacket" day approached, someone in the College of Aeronautics at FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) asked her to list her recent accomplishments. Which resulted in the rather stunning praise posted below Cassidy's pic. Needless to say, family is "bustin' our buttons."

 


 The COA would like to recognize Cassidy Reale for her outstanding accomplishments so far this year! A junior studying Aviation Management w/ Flight, Cassidy has been both an exceptional student and an incredibly active part of our campus community. She is the current VP of Collegiate Aviation Business Executives.

While Cassidy has excelled on campus since arriving in 2024, her success is the result of a great deal of personal and professional drive. She has avidly pursued external scholarships and grants to fund her education and flight training, receiving multiple generous awards, including the Lawrence Ginocchio Aviation Scholarship from @nbaaonline, the AAAE Aviation Management scholarship, and the @eaa Citation Max Scholarship for 2026. More impressive is her desire to connect current and future students with similar opportunities, opening the door for more students to pursue flight education without a concern for cost.
 
Cassidy, congratulations on your successes, and keep making the COA proud!
 
 ~ * ~
  
 

 
HAMILTON
 
STATS:  Music & lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Source:  Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernon
Off-Broadway Debut - February 2015
Broadway Debut - August 2015
 
Comment by Composer:  "America then, as told by America now."                                                            
 
As you can guess from the photo above, Susie and I saw Hamilton this week. Susie bought the tickets weeks ago, but as Fate would have it, the tickets fell on MOVING DAY for the Reale family. But no way was Susie going to miss the show. I was simply looking forward to an evening out, never suspecting the impact of what I was about to see.
 
To analyze my reaction, I had to look back over a lifetime filled with music and drama. I sang my first solo in church at age 4, was in my first play with adults at age 6, taught a drama class for fifth & sixth graders while in high school. I also played the lead in all high school plays, performed in and did costuming for college musicals, directed a production of The King and I at Newton (MA) High School, and eventually toured with the National Company of The Sound of Music. I am a member in retirement of Actors' Equity and Musicians Local 802 in NYC. So . . . when I tell you this performance of Hamilton was the most amazing performance I have ever seen, I know what I'm talking about!
 
I suspect the electric drama of the evening was enhanced by the rabid enthusiasm of the audience at the Dr. Philips Center, many dressed in costume for the occasion. Enthusiastic audience = enthusiastic cast. Or maybe the actors give their all at every performance. All I know is, it was a tour de force, ranging from heartfelt words and emotions to explosions and the rattle of gunfire. From the thrill of winning the Revolution to the tragedy of betrayal and death. In short, the story of the early years of our country as centered around the life of Alexander Hamilton, a great statesman and not-so-perfect husband.
 
What I did not learn in school—that Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr were lifelong friends, until jealousy and what Burr considered betrayal provided the final straw that led to their duel - and Hamilton's death.
 
All the above is told in a 3-hour cascade of song, dance, & occasional dialogue. A whirlwind of emotion portrayed by a cast that makes the show their own. Yes, this was a top-of-the-line National Company, but Hamilton is so well written and choreographed that it can carry even a lesser cast to an emotional triumph. If you ever have an opportunity to see, GO, GO, GO! (It is available in movie form on the Disney channel.)
 
Hamilton is particularly important in this year of our country's  250th  anniversary. (I suspect I wasn't the only one equating King George with DJT.)
 
Special Grace note:  I would like to commend the Dr. Philips center for its attention to the handicapped. Yes, I had to abandon my walker somewhere around Row M and make my way up stairs to Row T, but the brass railings were sturdy. I also got a ride in an open wheelchair-size elevator (going down, sans walker, at intermission). And the valet parking driver backed Susie's car into a space directly in front of us. (The fee was also less.) 
 
It will likely take me a week to recover, but Hamilton was well worth it. If you can possibly find a way to see it, do so!
~ * ~
 
 
 Book of the Week
 
  

 
  
When the widowed Miranda Tyrell escapes a dire situation in Kent by accepting a position as governess in Lincolnshire, taking her young son with her, she never dreams she is jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Instead of peace and safety, Miranda discovers the flat agricultural plains and salt marshes are rife with tales of mysterious fires, gutted animals, and strange sights and sounds in the night. Her new charge is a disturbed nine-year-old known as the Demon Child. In addition, rumors supported by the local curate claim that her employer, a badly scarred veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, is a demon. And those are only the beginnings of her troubles as she attempts to teach two fatherless boys and deal with her wayward heart, which she swore would never love again. 
 

~ * ~

 For a link to Blair's website & editing info, click here. 

For Archives, see the menu on the right. 

 For recent blogs, scroll down.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment