Grace's Mosaic Moments


Saturday, September 14, 2024

Two "Improvised" Salads

 Words we all need to read—and, yes, it's a poem, but don't panic! Take the time to read it as if it were a book . . .


Taken from an ad on Facebook 



Sent to me by my daughter-in-law
And no, I don't know what city that is.

*****

On Friday, September 13, I posted the following to Facebook. Decided it was worth repeating on my blog:

Dictionary definitions for our time:

LIAR. A person who lies.
CONGENITAL LIAR. One who lies all the time.
MISOGYNIST. Woman-hater
RACIST. One who believes that one's own race is superior.
FASCIST. A person who is dictatorial or has extreme right-wing views.
MEGALOMANIAC. One who has a highly exaggerated or delusional concept of their own importance.

~ * ~

 

TWO "IMPROVISED" SALADS

 Living alone, I rarely have an opportunity to make a big salad, but when that was my contribution to our Labor Day family gathering, I went all out, throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. Here is what I call . . .

Grace's "Everything" Salad

 No amounts are given as it depends entirely on how many you're feeding. I bought two containers of mixed greens (various types of arugula).

Mixed greens
Coarsely chopped pecans
Pine nuts
Dried cranberries (if refrigerated, take out early to warm up)
Diced cucumber (c. ½")
Red onion, sliced thin
Crumbled Feta Cheese w/garlic  & herb
Sliced green olives
Hard-boiled eggs, sliced (save 3 slices for topping)*
Fresh herbs - basil, oregano, thyme, mint**

Serve with a choice of salad dressings, (preferably without chemical preservatives!)

*I used 3 eggs.

**Those were all the herbs the Florida summer left me. Whatever herbs you can scrounge up are fine. Dried herbs only if you absolutely must.

***************

 There's a story behind the next salad. I tried a chicken recipe I saw on Facebook, and was disappointed that the sauce could barely be tasted. This may have been because the three chicken breasts I bought a Publix were ENORMOUS and did not fit the amounts in the original recipe. In any event, I needed to do something to make the two leftover chicken breasts more tasty. So . . . I took a single chicken breast and cubed it - resulting in a startling amount of meat. I had half a bag of frozen corn in the freezer. Nuked that until it was warm; then gently warmed up the leftover chicken. Added a bag of microwave rice I had on hand (ready in 90 seconds), then added a few more normal salad ingredients: fresh herbs, capers, sliced green olives. I then discovered I had enough for 2 or 3 meals for someone with a small appetite. So I loaded a generous helping into a SOUP bowl (as this was full-meal salad) and topped my warm mix with salad dressing. And guess what? It was fabulous! And I had leftovers to warm for the next night.

Come to think of it, this "salad" could also be made, using frozen ready-cooked chicken pieces.


Chicken/Corn/Rice Salad 

1-2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
Frozen corn, warmed
1 pkg. of microwave rice, cooked (your choice of flavor)
Fresh herbs*
Capers
Sliced olives**

Serve warm with your choice of salad dressing.

*Whatever herbs you have available. Dried, if no other choice
**Green or black, your choice 

*************** 

Don't forget Blair's latest GothicThe Abandoned Daughter 

~ * ~

 For a link to Blair's websiteclick here. 

For Blair's Facebook Author Page, click here.*
*with new posts 

For recent blogs, scroll down. For Archives, see the menu on the right.

 

Thanks for stopping by,

Grace (Blair Bancroft)   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment