Grace's Mosaic Moments


Saturday, April 29, 2023

Gallery & Ambrosia Recipe

With apologies to my Facebook friends, who have already heard most of my tale of woe:

It's been an interesting two weeks. No writing on my new book, just endless hours at the cutting table and sewing machine. For a peek at why, see the first three photos in the Gallery.

In Pic One, you will see Cassidy wearing the prom gown that cost me the better part of three days of my life. Would you believe that gown has FOUR layers—sequin-spangled net, sea-green slip, upper & lower crinolines, and because crinoline is scratchy, another slip under that! All to be shortened 5½" and re-hemmed (except the crinoline which simply had to be cut off). And then, with only two layers finished, my daughter Susie called and asked if I could hem Riley's gown as well!

When I finished screaming, I, of course, said I'd do it. Then guess what? When I saw Riley's gown, I choked. Cassidy's gown had four layers, each close to 12 feet around. Riley's hem was a single panel of satin-finished knit, at most 16 INCHES wide. All that yelling and hollering I did, and Riley's gown took thirty minutes at most, including changing the thread and sewing machine needle, but not counting ironing. SIGH.

Cassidy w/Alec, Mom & Dad

 
Riley

 

And then there was the costume I thought I had plenty of time to finish before the church's spring teen musical this weekend. Until all work came to a screeching halt when the prom dresses appeared. So, after the prom gowns, I hastened back to finding a way to make a hat brim curl (half of a paper towel tube in each) - after extending the circular brim to an oval, that is. Tricky, tricky, tricky. But I was able to deliver the costume on Tuesday. Below, the Coroner's Costume for The Wizard of Oz. Photo by choir/musical director, Tim Hanes.

 

Below, the latest roster of Citrus Singers perform "The Star-Spangled Banner at a Naturalization ceremony - something they've been doing for the last decade. I attended the first one, lo, these many years ago, and it was a very moving experience. A reminder to everyone that many immigrants do everything right, applying for entry to the US, completing the studies necessary for citizenship, and finally taking their oath of loyalty.
 

 

This week's gems from Facebook:

My daughter and I both love sea-glass, but no location was given for this photo posted to FB by Mia Fisher. (Or Susie would likely be buying her ticket to wherever that is.) I suspect it was photo-shopped. Just too perfect.


 And we always need a laugh . . .


 ~ * ~

Grace note:  Although the recipe below is called Ambrosia Salad, it is closer to a dessert. No added sugar, but many of the ingredients are sweet. But for all those with a sweet-tooth and/or those who are willing to fall off the diet wagon occasionally, I guarantee this is one of the tastiness recipes around. Pure heaven. Hence, the name "Ambrosia." I made it for our family for Easter, and even our fussiest eater had two helpings.

This particular Ambrosia recipe was found in the Cooking & Eating section of the Orlando Sentinel the week before Easter. 

 

AMBROSIA SALAD


Special Note: a few of the ingredients are not easy to find—shredded coconut and fruit-flavored mini marshmallows. I substituted flaked coconut and plain white mini-mallows, but ordered both shredded coconut and colored mini-mallows from Amazon for the next time I make this recipe.

Ingredients:

8 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)
½ cup vanilla yogurt*
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 11-oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 8-oz. can pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup maraschino cherries, drained**
½ cup chopped pecans
1½ cups mini fruit-flavored marshmallows

* I used all of a 5.3 oz. container

**Since canned maraschino cherries have chemical preservatives, I substituted frozen black cherries, thawed, drained, cut in half. (Also less sweet than maraschinos.)

Preparation:

1.  In a large bowl, stir together whipped topping & yogurt.

2.  Using a rubber (or soft plastic) spatula, carefully fold remaining ingredients into whipped topping. (I folded in 2 at a time.)

3.  Chill before serving. (Overnight works well.)


Et voilĂ , a fabulous salad or dessert

 ~ * ~

I may not have had time to write or promote the last couple of weeks, but please don't forget my latest Regency Gothic, Menace at Lincourt Manor:

 

 

A merchant's daughter, born in India, believes she has married the love of her life, until she goes to live on the Surrey downs and has to cope with a dilapidated house, hostile servants, and multiple murders.

 

 ~ * ~

For a link to Blair's website, click here.

 

Thanks for stopping by,

Grace (Blair Bancroft)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment